- 3/4 cups hazelnuts (or or any othe nut)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (or orange), the zest
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 2/3 unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 dark dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
- Once the oven comes up to heat, toast the nuts on an unlined baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Turn the nuts onto a cleaned tea towel and rub them to remove as much of the skin as possible. Roughly chop the nuts and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer cream the butter, sugar and lemon (or orange) peel until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until blended.
- Into a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and espresso powder. With the mixer on low, mix the flour mixture into the batter, stirring just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips and the nuts.
- Take the dough and place it onto a wood surface. Shape it into a log about 12" long. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet and flatten to 1" high. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top feels firm to the touch. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, reduc the heat to 325° F and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the log to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonal slices about 1/2 " thick. Place the cookies cut side down on the parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the cookies over and bake for 5-10 more minutes or until they start to brown.Transfer to a rack to cool.
- For the coating: When the biscotti are cooled, gently melt the semi sweet chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl over simmering, not boiling, water. Once melted place the biscotti back in a parchment lined baking sheet and drizzle the chocolate over the biscotti using a spoon or a fork. Let cool and enjoy!
Store between layers of parchment paper in an airtight container. Biscotti will keep for a couple of weeks.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Baking