For the dough:
- 300 g flour 00 (or all-purpose)
- 100 g salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 medium organic egg
- 15 g baking powder
- water as needed when kneading (about 4-5 Tbsp)
For the filling:
- 15 asparagus (about 200 g)
- 110 g mayonnaise
- 60 g panna (or double cream)
- 4 medium organic eggs
- salt and pepper
- 15 g parsley, finely chopped
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the flour, the egg and mix roughly on low speed.
- Add the cooled melted butter and mix on low, then add the baking powder. The dough will have a pebble-like consistency. Add the water 1 Tbsp at a time until the dough comes together.
- Pour the dough onto a wood surface and knead a bit more, then form a ball, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and butter a 24 cm round tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and spread it with the help of a rolling pin. The dough is delicate so it might break. I usually finish spreading it in the pan with my hands.
- Once spread evenly on the bottom and sides of the pan, prick the bottom with a fork and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let cool on a rack.
- In the meantime prepare the filling: clean and cut the ends of the asparagus so that they are the same length. Boil them in salted water in a tall and narrow pan so the tips are out of the water, for about 5 minutes if thin, or 8 minutes if thicker. Pass them gently underneath cold water, drain and set aside.
- Put the eggs in a pan with cold water and set on the stove. Cook for 10 minutes after they start to boil. Drain, peel and let cool. Reserve one half of an egg, chop the rest very fine.
- Wash the parsley and chop it finely.
- In a medium bowl add the mayo, the double cream, the chopped eggs and parsley. Adjust with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture evenly on top of the crostata (tart). Arrange the egg half in the center, then the asparagus all around.
- Serving Size: 8-10 servings