Easy Breezy One Pan Chicken Dinner, is a great way to celebrate the up and coming American Thanksgiving. In less than two hours you have everything that you would want for that family of friend meal. Roasted chicken embedded in a flavorful stuffing, rosemary potatoes, baby onions, and sweet carrots. Absolutely delicious!
- 3 kg whole organic free range chicken
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1/8 cup vegetable stock
- 4 thick slices of maple smoked bacon, chopped fine
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 3 small onions, chopped fine
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups dried bread cubes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
Potatoes, carrots, and onions:
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8-10 small baby carrots
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 430° F.
- Drizzle a spoonful of olive oil in a large rectangular baking dish.
- Take chicken pieces and slather with the olive oil.
- Take all the herbs, spices, salt and pepper and sprinkle on all sides of the chicken.
- Place in middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting you can start the stuffing.
- In a pan saute onions, celery, mushrooms, and bacon until all the fat of the bacon is rendered, about 10 minutes.
- Toss in bread cubes and mix well making sure they are well coated with the flavor of the bacon, celery, and onion.
- Season with the rosemary, thyme, sage, and taste for seasoning.
- Add some salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Let cool to the touch and start adding vegetable stock a little at a time.
- Mix and toss with hands and feel for the stuffing to come together and become somewhat soft.
- Set aside.
- Get a large bowl and throw in cut potatoes, carrots and onion quarters.
- Sprinkle with minced garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and dried rosemary. Toss well and set aside.
- Take chicken out of the oven. Pour in the vegetable stock.
- Spread stuffing into the spaces between the chicken leaving some voids for potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- Lift chicken so that it is not buried in the stuffing. This allows it to still stay crisp on top.
- Place in potatoes, carrots, and onions and put back in the oven.
- Turn oven down to 400° F.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn heat down around the 30-minute mark to 375° F.
- Take out of the oven and it is ready to serve.
- You can use turkey pieces if you don’t want to use chicken.
- The stuffing can be done vegetarian just omit the bacon. The mushrooms give the stuffing a nice meatiness on their own too.
- When in the final stages of the baking just check to make sure stuffing is not getting too brown on top. If so, turn heat down or even cover with some tin foil.