- 1/2 loaf of rustic bread sliced in 1/2 inch slices( 6 slices)
- 2 fresh organic free range chicken eggs
- 1/3 cup organic 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure organic vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tempura flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon
- 1 Asian pear
- Small handful dried cranberries
- Small handful of raisins
- 3 tablespoons of peanut oil for cooking
- 1/3 cup of organic pure maple syrup
- In a bowl combine flour, tempura flour, cinnamon, cardamon, and salt.
- blend well till ingredients are evenly combined
- In another bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, and whisk till smooth and velvety.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry slowly whisking as you start to combine and mix well till all ingredients are well incorporated and batter id lump free and smooth.
- Take bread slices and place into batter and coat each side for about 1 minute until bread is well coated and slightly saturated.
- Place 2 tablespoons of peanut oil into cast skillet.
- Heat up pan to medium to high heat.
- Place battered bread and cook each side till nice and golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Place cooked french toast into oven on lowest heat possible to keep warm.
- Drizzle in remaining peanut oil into skillet and heat to medium ti high heat.
- Place pear wedges into pan and sprinkle with brown sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Repeat for the other side.
- Check to see a nice golden caramel color on the surface then turn over.
- The pears cook for about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Just before pears are done toss in cranberries and raisins and cook till slightly softened.
- Take french toast out of the oven and plate with pears and cranberries and raisins.
- Dust with some powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Ready to serve.
- Happy Easter!
You can substitute half and half cream for the milk to make it more luxurious.
Also to get the right heat in the pan test it with a little batter, just drop place a drop in the pan if it burns quickly turn heat down.
- Serving Size: 4 servings