Everybody has -at least once- faced the dilemma of what to do with old bread, the easy decision would be bread crumbs, but I have a better idea: how about a creamy cream cheese glazed peach, caramelized banana sandwich cut into cubes and tossed with eggs and maple syrup baked till the top is crisp and the inside is like a bread pudding? I’m sold just at the word “creamy”. What about you?
This recipe is inspired by a recipe that is in the cookbook: Easy Elegance from Fabulous Fairholme: Breakfast.Brunch.Lunch. I have put my own flare to it but either way it is so good and worth the work. I hope you enjoy this one: Double stuffed peach and caramelized banana baked French toast.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!Print
- 1 loaf of old Italian bread
- 10 eggs
- 1 package cream cheese
- 2 peaches
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- maple syrup
- canola oil
- Cut bread into 1/4 inch slices at about 8 slices.
- In a bowl soften butter and add maple syrup approximately 1/2 table spoon, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and mix well.
- Spread the cream cheese on one side of the slices of bread.
- In a pan heat some canola oil and butter, cut banana into slices and sauté in pan till golden brown.
- Do the same with the peaches, peeling cut in half and make slices, then sauté till golden brown.
- Take a slice of the bread with the cream cheese and place banana and peaches on the cream cheese and place the other slice of bread on top of it making kind of like a sandwich with banana and peaches.
- Cut up sandwiches into cubes and place in a 9″x12″x2″ baking dish.
- In another bowl beat eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon. Pour over bread making sure to coat all the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place dish in the middle rack of oven.
- Bake till top starts to crisp, check with a skewer in the middle to ensure the eggs are cooked. Spoon into dish and drizzle organic maple syrup on top then dig in.