Double Chocolate Zucchini Spelt Loaf, a delicious chocolate bread with "healthier" ingredients such as shredded zucchini, extra virgin olive oil, coconut crystals, dark chocolate, and spelt flour. Great at breakfast, as an afternoon pick-me-up, and after dinner sweet treat.
Recipe adapted from the cookbook "All the Sweet Things" by Renée Kohlman.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Scant 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped (I used 85% cacao)
- 2 eggs, organic, free-range, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut crystals
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C). Lightly butter a loaf pan, then line with parchment paper overhanging the sides (so it's easier to remove the loaf once cooked). Lightly butter the parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the spelt flour, then sift in the cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, salt. Stir in the chopped dark chocolate.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut and cane sugars, olive oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the grated zucchini and stir. Pour this mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack.
- Store the double chocolate zucchini loaf in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- At the end of the Summer, I shredded our homegrown zucchini, and stored them in the freezer in 2-cup portions, ready to be used in soups or baked goods. I took one portion (2 cups) out of the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature. When thawed, I just squeezed it a bit in a clean cloth to remove part of the moisture and used it in the recipe.
- Category: Breakfast, Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: zucchini, dark chocolate, cocoa, extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, bread, spelt flour, breakfast, cardamom