- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup apple sauce (or you can use vegetable oil)
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 and 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the chocolate sauce:
- 170 g bittersweet chocolate (about 6 oz), chopped
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp corn syrup (or any sweetener)
- To make the cake: In a large bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until combined. Beat in milk and applesauce (or oil).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; sift in cocoa powder.
- Stir flour mixture into butter mixture just until combined. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips. Scrape into greased and floured bundt pan, smoothing top.
- Bake in 325° F oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, abot 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack set over sheet of parchment paper. Let cool completely.
- To make the chocolate sauce: While cake is cooling, in heatproof bowl set over saucepan of gently simmering water (not boiling), heat together chocolate, whipping cream and corn syrup, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool until lukewarm, about 10 minutes. Spoon or spread over top of the cake.
- Serving Size: 12 servings