- 2 eggs, organic, free range
- 120 g sugar (we used organic coconut palm sugar)
- 100 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 130 ml milk (dairy or non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 220 g unbleached, all purpose flour
- 40 g unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tbsp (9 g) baking powder
- 2 pears (we used Conference pears)
- 1/4 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips, optional
- slivered unbleached almonds, for the top, optional
- icing sugar (optional) for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs and sugar and beat at medium speed until frothy and lighter in color.
- Melt the butter in a microwave or bain-marie and let it cool.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and melted butter, beating on slow to incorporate them to the egg mixture.
- Add the sifted flour, cocoa, and baking powder, and mix until well incorporated.
- Peel the pears, then cube one and slice the other.
- With a spatula fold in the cubed pear and mini chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan (or any other pan you like) and spread the top evenly with the spatula.
- Garnish the top with the sliced pear and slivered almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the sides and center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack before taking out of the pan.
- Once cooled, sprinkle with icing sugar, slice, and enjoy!
You can use a loaf pan or a round cake pan. Adjust baking times accordingly.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert, cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 8-10 servings