A killer cookie for chocolate lovers!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 oz dark chocolate (70% cacao minimum), chopped
- dark chocolate chips for the topping
- maple sugar for dusting
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add the cocoa, beating to incorporate. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating at medium speed.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and fold into the batter until smooth. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Pile the cookie dough onto a piece of plastic wrap or parchment and roll into a log, twisting the ends to enclose. Chill until firm (about half hour).
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the chilled dough log into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch slices and place the slices a little apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with maple sugar.
- Bake until firm, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Be careful not to over-bake the cookies. They should be crispy on the outside and a little chewy inside.