For the Fritters
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 small)
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 small onion, chopped very finely
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for cooking
For the Lemon Tzatziki
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 3 sprigs fresh mint, minced
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Tzatziki: In a medium bowl, stir the yogurt until smooth. Using a microplane, mince the garlic into the yogurt. Add the salt, black pepper, dill, mint, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir and adjust salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. This can be made ahead of time; it tastes better if allowed to mellow overnight. Tzatziki will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Fritters: Wash and cut zucchini in half lengthwise. If the zucchini is large, slice lengthwise and remove the seeds. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the zucchini and set in a mesh strainer or colander to drain.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cracked pepper, mint and dill leaves with a whisk.
- Grate the garlic into a small bowl. Add the egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and water, and beat with a fork to combine. Pour the egg mixture over the flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in onion, feta and drained zucchini.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop ¼ cup of batter into the pan and flatten to ¾? thick. Cook about 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Use more oil as needed.
- Serve hot with a dollop of Lemon Tzatziki and fresh ground black pepper.
Fritters are best eaten as they are made. Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and reheated in a frying pan.