Delizia Alle Mele (Apple Cake Delight) is a crowd-pleaser thanks to its dough similar to a shortcrust pastry and a delicious filling of thinly sliced apples. Perfect for any occasion: breakfast, a healthy afternoon snack, or the dessert for your Sunday family meal. It is a simple dessert to make, where the apples are the absolute protagonists.
- 3–4 apples, depending on the size (I used 3 Renette apples)
- 450 g flour (I used white whole wheat flour, the recipe calls for white flour)
- 180 g sugar, divided (the recipe calls for 200 g of sugar. I reduced the sugar and used beet sugar)
- 1 egg, organic, free-range
- 150 g butter at room temperature + more to top the apples
- 125 g plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 organic lemon, the zest for the dough, the juice for the apples
- 16 g baking powder (1 sachet lievito vanigliato)
- pinch of salt
- powdered (icing) sugar, for decoration (optional)
- On a work surface, mix the flour with 80 g of sugar, then form a well.
- Pour into the center of the well the egg, the cubed butter, the yogurt, the salt, the vanilla, the grated lemon zest, and the baking powder.
- Work everything with your hands until you obtain a smooth dough. Shape it into a ball, wrap it in plastic and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the apples into thin slices. Squeeze the lemon onto the apple slices (it prevents cut apples from browning).
- Divide the dough in half and on a lightly floured surface roll out the first half in a thin sheet with which you can line the bottom of a round pan (26-28 cm), going up a bit on the sides (I used a springform pan, lined the bottom with a round piece of parchment paper and buttered the sides).
- Prick the base, then spread the thinly sliced apples onto the base. Sprinkle the remaining sugar and a few pats of butter on the apples.
- Roll out the second half of the dough and cover the apples with the second layer. Seal the edges with a fork.
- Bake at 350° F (180° C) for about 30-40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool, then dust with powdered sugar (if using).
You can also use a rectangular pan 27 x 40 cm and cut the cake in squares.
You can use a food processor to make the dough: in a food processor add the flour, 80 g of sugar, grated lemon zest, vanilla extract, cubed butter, salt, yogurt, egg, and baking powder. Pulse to mix until a smooth dough is obtained.
The prep time includes the resting time in the fridge.
I rolled out the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper, lightly floured, so it did not stick to the work surface or the rolling pin and it was easier to work.
It lasts for 3-4 days stored in a cake dome.