Delicious Cherry Almond Cake, juicy sweet cherries explode in your mouth as you take a bite into this simple loaf cake made with a mix of wheat flour and almond flour. A sprinkle of raw cane sugar in the buttered loaf pan gives a beautiful golden color and a caramelized outer edge. Take advantage of cherry season and bake this delicious cake, perfect from breakfast/brunch to dessert.
- 80 g butter, at room temperature (or 40 g vegetable oil + 35 g butter)
- 90 g raw cane sugar + plus more to sprinkle in the pan
- 100 g almond flour (I grounded whole almonds)
- 100 g type 1 flour * (or all-purpose, or 00, or soft white whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 300–350 g whole, pitted cherries
- Wash the cherries, remove the stem, and the pit. Set aside.
- Butter a loaf cake pan (or a 21-23cm round cake pan) and sprinkle with raw cane sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand-held mixer, beat the soft butter (or butter and oil) with the sugar until smooth.
- In another bowl whisk the almond flour, white whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter/sugar mixture, and the vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Then, add the sifted flour mixture and blend just until combined.
- Add a few of the cherries in the batter and mix with a spatula.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared pan. Add the rest of the cherries on the surface, pressing a little into the batter.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan, then unmold and enjoy.
* In Italy, soft wheat flours go from 00 to 2, type 00 being more refined and type 1 being closer to a soft white whole wheat flour.