Dark Chocolate Swirl Meringues, a cloud of light, crumbly sweetness with a subtle swirl of dark chocolate. A melt in your mouth delicious experience.
Adapted on: Chocolate and Salted Caramel Swirled Meringues, by Floating Kitchen.
- 5 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- Pre-heat your oven to 275° F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until small bubbles start to form, then increase the speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually incorporate the sugar, adding 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high for about 5 minutes, or until the meringues are stiff and glossy.
- Scrap down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice and beat for 1 minute more.
- Scoop the meringue out in rounded spoonfuls onto your prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1-2 inches between each mound. Do not flatten them or worry about their shape at this time.
- Melt the dark (or semisweet) chocolate chips in a water bath (bain-marie) until smooth and liquid. Let it cool out a bit.
- Place a small amount of melted chocolate on top of each meringue. Then use a toothpick to swirl the toppings into the meringue, shaping the meringue as you do this. Don’t flatten the meringues out too much.
- Transfer the swirled meringues to your pre-heated oven and reduce the temperature to 250° F. Bake for about 40 minutes.The outsides should be dry to the touch.
- Remove the meringues from the oven and allow them to cool completely on their baking sheets. Then gently peel them away from the parchment paper.