Hearty and delicious, these muffins made with spelt flour and rolled oats will brighten your morning and uplift your afternoon. The juicy pockets of strawberries and rhubarb are a delightful surprise in the soft and tender crumb.
- 230 g light spelt flour
- 140 g cane sugar
- 50 g rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (about 150 g) strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup (about 80 g) rhubarb, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 90 ml light evo oil
- 60 ml oat milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Line a muffin tin with 10-12 muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients: flour, oates, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the wet ingredients: oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla bean paste. Whisk well.
- Add the chopped strawberries and rhubarb to the dry ingredients and mix gently with a spoon to coat the fruit.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour/fruit mixture and gently stir about 12 times with a spatula to combine. Do not overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin liners, filling them 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, check them with a skewer/cake tester. If it comes out clean, they're done. If not, they will need more time.
- Take out of the oven and let cool on a rack.
You can replace the flour, sugar, milk, and oil, with your favorites.
These muffins would work well with any of the berries that are in season.
They freeze well. Just make sure to wrap them well and place in a ziplock freezer bag. Use within a month.
- Category: Breakfast, brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: muffins, strawberries, rhubarb, delicious, breakfast, brunch, dairy-free, healthy, oats, spelt flour