Do you want to talk about flavor? Then let's start here. Halibut, haddock, sole, and salmon in a rich yellow curry turmeric sauce and topped with a luscious beautifully piped potato parsnip puree! Is your mouth watering yet? Hence, let's take a look at this amazing dish!
Song of the day: "I'm so excited" by The Pointer Sisters.
Crustless Curried Seafood Pie. Don't worry, you won't miss the pie crust because the beautifully crusted piped potato exemplifies flavor and texture. Moreover, wait till you break through and find the treasures of the ocean all bathed in a luxurious curried sauce. This dish has me so excited and passionate, I can't wait to show you how to make it. Therefore, come with me into the kitchen and let's have some good tasty fun!
I am so excited and I cannot hide it!
A few weeks ago I was watching Jamie Oliver and his show on comfort foods. This was the dish he made, a curried fish pie. I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to get into the kitchen and give it a go! So, here we are, and without further ado because my excitement has overcome me, I give you the in and outs of this Crustless Curried Seafood Pie.
Let's go shopping
Grab a basket because we need a few things:
- Icelandic Salmon
- Fillet of Haddock
- Fillet of Halibut
- Fillet of sole
- Yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Yellow curry powder
- Bay leaf
- Chili flakes or fresh red chilies
- Coconut milk
- Spinach and arugula leaves
- Salt and white pepper
Did you get all the ingredients? Good, because I want to get cooking with all of you!
This is what you have to do to make this Crustless Curried Seafood Pie
- First thing first, all the prep including taking the skin off the salmon and cutting up the fish, onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes. Remember to wash the spinach and arugula.
- Secondly, we need to build the sauce while the potatoes and turnips are boiling. How do we build the sauce, you ask? Well, pour in the olive oil and ghee into a saute pan and cook up the ginger, garlic, onions and toss in all those lovely spices: salt, pepper, curry, turmeric, coriander, cilantro, chili flakes. This is going to get pasty however don't worry because the next step is going to bring this sauce together!
- Thirdly, we stir in the coconut cream. Look at the color of this sauce, totally amazing, don't you think!
Okay, our sauce is on very low simmering. Potatoes and parsnips are fork tender and we drain the water out. Mash, mash, mash resulting in a very sultry smooth puree, now that's foodie sexy! Afterwards, in goes a nice knob of butter and some cream and a quick stir resulting in a very luxurious potato parsnip puree. Into the piping bag you go after cooling!
A little creativity is needed
- Fourthly, we add the fish, shrimp, and the sole is rolled up into these rosettes. Is that not just as lovely as lovely can be! Just have to add the leafy greens!
- Lastly, let's get that piping bag and make an artfully tasteful topping!
A little Italian gold to enhance the top texture of this Crustless Curried Seafood Pie
How about we get some Italian on and drizzle olive oil with a sprinkling of fine bread crumbs on top of those lovely potatoes? There, what do you think? I think we did a grand job! Ultimately, into the oven you go, see you in a bit!
Out of the oven you go and time to taste this wonderfully aromatic and colorful tasty dish
Get your forks, I am plating. Okay, ready, in goes the fork.............................. Wow......... Woooow........... This is just incredible. The crispness of the surface of the potatoes has my taste buds all excited. However, the show is not over. I just love the creaminess of the interior and I taste the subtle sweetness of the parsnip which pairs so well with the butter and cream.
Now, let's get to the nitty gritty, the fish, shrimp and that sauce, oh that sauce. Lol, I am amazed at the moistness and flakiness of the three kinds of fish, and even though it is in that lovely golden curried sauce, I can still distinguish the various fish and the succulent shrimp. Finally, let's talk sauce!
This sauce is profound, the way the curry lingers into the waves of coconut cream and little explosions of turmeric and chili flakes as well as those hints of cilantro. This Crustless Curried Seafood Pie is definitely a symphony well worth experiencing!
If you like pot pies and don't want the added heaviness of a pastry crust, however you want all the flavors to make you forget that there was never one to begin with, than this dish is one to definitely grace your kitchen with.
I had it with my son and his partner and it was truly a hit. Seconds were requested and served! All in all, I guess we can say it was well received. I love Jamie Oliver's cooking style. He makes it fun and easy, his passion is infectious, and can honestly say that this recipe was spot on and noteworthy! Thanks Jamie for inspiring me!
Above all, I hope I have inspired you to try this Crustless Curried Seafood Pie!