- 1 bundle fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green onions
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, about 2
- 3/4 cup of Carnaroli rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, cut at least 2 inches off the bottom of the asparagus ends. Wash and clean the asparagus.
- Get two pots of salted water on boil. One medium size for the peas, and a larger one for the asparagus. Boil asparagus for 6 minutes or until slightly tender. The peas cook for about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Place broth in a pot and put on low heat.
- Cut the tips from the asparagus and set aside. Take the stems and chop them into small pieces.
- In a food processor combine chopped asparagus, half the peas, the basil, and a spoonful of olive oil. Taste and season with salt and pepper accordingly. Set aside.
- Get a medium-size cast pot or a deep saute pan. Heat up 2 Tbsp olive oil and garlic clove. Saute for a minute. Toss in onions and chives and saute for another minute or so.
- Time to toss in the rice and stir getting all those flavors all over the rice. Toast the rice for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and let dissipate.
- Start adding the broth one ladle at a time, constantly stirring the rice. As the broth dissipates add another ladle. Continue this for about 20 minutes.
- Time to add the asparagus/pea cream. Stir to blend then add the asparagus tips and the last of the peas. Stirring constantly, cook for another 5 minutes or until rice is al dente. If it seems too dry add a little broth.
- Finally, toss in the Parmigiano, reserving a bit for garnishing, and the butter. Stir well, take off heat and cover. Let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Take the lid off, stir again, and it is ready to serve!
You can use Arborio rice too. The cooking time may be less as the Arborio cooks faster.
You can also use mint instead of basil, very tasty too.
The cook time includes also the cooking time for the asparagus and the fresh or frozen peas. If using already cooked peas, omit this step.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Asparagus, peas, garlic, green onions, seasonal, parmigiano reggiano, basil, vegetable broth, risotto, rice,