Cocoa Beet Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Mascarpone Frosting: moist, intensely chocolaty, utterly decadent. You would never believe that cooked beets are hiding in the batter, and they give the most natural, reddish hue.
- 2 cups (250 g) cake flour (00)
- ½ cup (45 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup (132 ml) sunflower oil
- 1¼ cups (200 g) natural cane sugar
- 1½ cups fresh beets (about 3 small/medium), cooked and pureed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup mascarpone, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add cane sugar.
- In another bowl, or in a stand mixer beat the oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add beet mixture and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix just to combine.
- Fill cupcake liners until almost full.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
- In a stand mixer beat the butter with the icing sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt until smooth.
- Add the mascarpone and beat at high speed just until smooth; do not overbeat.
- Fill a piping bag that has the star tip with the mascarpone cream and pipe the cupcakes starting from the outer edge.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: North American