Ciambella allo Yogurt (Easy Yogurt Cake) is a simple, fast, and delicious cake made of yogurt (plain or flavored), and basic kitchen ingredients. You will use the yogurt container to measure your ingredients as follows: 1 container of yogurt (125 grams), 1 container of oil, 2 containers of sugar, and 3 containers of flour. Plus 3 eggs and 1 sachet (packet) of baking powder. Now, how easy is that?
- 1 x 125 g apricot yogurt at room temperature (empty the yogurt container and use it as your measuring “cup”)
- 2 containers (about 200 g) cane sugar
- 1 container (125 g) vegetable oil (I use peanut oil)
- 3 large eggs, organic free range, at room temperature
- the zest of 1 organic lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 containers (about 260 g) flour 00 (or 180 g flour + 80 g potato starch)
- 16 g (1 sachet) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Butter and flour a bundt pan, or 20-24 cm cake pan, or loaf pan.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar and lemon zest with an electric whisk or by hand until frothy.
- Add the vegetable oil slowly and keep whisking, then the yogurt and vanilla (if using) and continue whisking until everything is well incorporated.
- Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time (or 1 container at a time) and blend well using an electric whisk or by hand until smooth and without lumps.
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared cake pan (whatever you’ve decided to use) and bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and let cool on a rack before unmolding.
- Dust with powdered (icing) sugar and serve.
The yogurt cake can keep at room temperature, covered, for 3-4 days without losing its moist crumb.
You can use plain or flavored yogurt. You can add fruit, or chocolate chips, or a part of cocoa (add 2 Tbsp of cocoa and take out 2 Tbsp of flour). Whatever addition, it must be added at the end, after the flour mixture has been incorporated.