- 1 1/4 stick salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- scant 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
- Sift together the flour and cocoa powder, fold in, and combine to form a crumbly dough.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar onto a clean work surface.
- Form the dough into a 2-inch diameter log, then roll in the sugar to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a large knife, cut the dough into 1/2-inch-thick circles and place themon the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are firm to the touch.
- Let cool on the sheets, then store in an airtight container or cookie jar for up to 1 week.
The combination of cocoa powder and chocolate chips maks for a rich, indulgent shortbread cookie.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes