- 2 cups (250 g) cake flour (00)
- ½ cup (45 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3 large, organic free range eggs
- ¾ cup (132 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 cup (150 g) maple sugar (or natural cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1½ cups fresh beets (about 3 small/medium), cooked and pureed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 Tbsp salted butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp half & half cream
- add 1 tsp crushed dehydrated raspberry
- 1/2 tsp raspberry syrup
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add cane sugar.
- In another bowl, or in a stand mixer beat the oil, eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add beet mixture and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix just to combine.
- Fill cupcake liners until almost full.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for approximately 13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
- In a stand mixer beat the butter with the icing sugar, vanilla, until smooth.
- Add the half & half and beat at high speed just until smooth; do not over beat.
- Fill a piping bag with the round tip with the buttercream and pipe the cupcakes starting from the outer edge.
- For the raspberry buttercream add the dehydrated raspberry and raspberry syrup to the regular buttercream and use the star tip to decorate.
The cooking time does not include the cooking of the beets.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Serving Size: 48 mini cupcakes