Chicken Liver Paté. When it comes to presentation, this definitely steals the show. The combination of flavors and textures wows the palate and the aromas are beyond describable. If you are wanting to have a night of appetizers, try this one, it is absolutely fantastic!
- 1 stick butter (4 ounces)
- 2 shallots, chopped fine
- 1 small cipollini onion, chopped fine
- 1 lb fresh chicken livers
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (1 tsp thyme leaves chopped)
- 1/3 cup fortified wine (Port, Sherry, or Madeira)
- 1/3 cup heavy/whipping cream
- fine sea salt, for seasoning
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and cubed, tossed with lemon juice (I used honey crisp)
- 4 Tbsp fig jam (you can use onion, quince, or any sweet and tart jam you have)
- 1 Tbsp whole mustard
- 1 baguette/rustic bread, sliced and toasted
- a handful of microgreens/fresh herbs (mizuna, chives, flatleaf parsley, thyme, fennel fronds. I used sweet pea shoots)
- a few drops sriracha sauce
- Place a large sauté pan on low to medium heat and melt half the butter until bubbles form. Add the shallots and onion and sauté till soft. Be careful not to get them crisp or browned or this will produce a bitter flavor.
- Time to add the livers, thyme, and Sherry. Bring heat to a medium-high. Shake the pan a bit and spread livers evenly over the pan surface to gently cook on one side. Once the liquid is simmering, turn the livers over.
- Bring ingredients to a simmer again and turn off heat. You do not want to overcook the livers, they should be a grey-brown on the outside, and pink on the inside.
- Add remaining butter and heavy cream. Season with salt and stir.
- Pour all the ingredients into a food processor or blender using a spatula to get all that juice in. Blend until smooth, then taste and see if more salt is needed.
- If you want a really smooth paté, pass the mixture through a sieve. Pour mixture into a container or jar and seal the surface with plastic wrap. I used a jar and sealed the surface and the mouth of the jar before placing the lid on.
- Place in the fridge for 4 hours to set!
- Take a good spoonful of the chicken liver paté and smear onto the surface of your dish. Garnish with areas of the mustard, jam, greens, herbs, and apples. Add drops of sriracha for color. Place the crostini on the plate and this is ready to serve!
You can use some salt water also to keep the apples from discoloring.
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top/food processor
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: chicken livers, paté, shallots, appetizer, french food, sherry wine, whipping cream, sea salt, butter, thyme, sweet pea shoots