- 3 organic free-range chicken legs
- 4 organic free-range chicken thighs bone in and skin on
- 2 organic free-range chicken 1/2 breasts skin on and bone in
- Sprinkling of sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, dried marjoram, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- sea salt, crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Sprinkling of dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Pinch of paprika
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 2 large cans d.o.p. San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste.
- Handful of fresh torn basil leaves
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 small glass white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable stalk (if you prefer you can use chicken stalk)
- A good handful of pitted and halved Italian olives (I used Castelvetrano)
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry peppers and place on the top rack of the oven.
- Place a pan directly below the peppers on the bottom rack to catch any juices.
- Grill till peppers are nice and charred, take out of oven and place in a plastic bag for a few minutes.
- Take out of bag and peel charred skin off and take seeds and core out.
- Chop into small pieces and set aside.
- Wash and pat dry chicken.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika, marjoram, onion and garlic powder on both sides.
- In a bowl whisk flour with all the seasonings.
- Take the chicken pieces and coat with flour mixture and place in a dish.
- In a large saute pan heat up olive oil and butter.
- Place chicken in skin side down and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until a nice dark golden brown. If there is not enough room in the pan for all the chicken do it in two batches.
- Place braised chicken in a 12"x 14" deep baking dish.
- In the same pan where the chicken was braised toss in garlic, onion and celery and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add in roasted peppers.
- Toss in capers and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Take the canned tomatoes and gently squeeze and crush them with your hands into the pan.
- Add a handful of fresh torn basil.
- Put in tomato paste and stir until blended.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour sauce over chicken in baking dish.
- Gently pour in white wine and vegetable stalk.
- Sprinkle with olives and chopped parsley, and cover with tin foil.
- Place in oven and bake at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes, then turn heat to 350° F, take off foil and cook for an additional 45 minutes.
- Take out of oven and serve with olive oil and garlic crostini.
- Finish with a splash of olive oil.
- Ready to serve.
- You can use any chicken pieces you like. I used a variety so I could please many palates at the table.
- Try and use really good organic ingredients.
- You can make this ahead of time then place it in the oven to warm when ready to serve.
- I served the dish with some crostini brushed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil.
- If you can't find the San Marzano tomatoes, a good quality Roma tomato will do too.
- You can do the roasted red peppers ahead of time.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Category: Poultry
- Method: Frying/baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: organic, free range, chicken, san marzano tomatoes, basil, marjoram, olives, olive oil, capers, onions, garlic, celery,