- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour, plus more for dusting the baking dish
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half and half milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 1 Whole vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 3/4 cups pitted cherries
- confectioners sugar, for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 10 by 10 inches gratin dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter, and then dust it with a bit of flour to coat the bottom and sides of the dish. Tap the dish to remove excess flour.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, half and half, heavy cream, brandy, and melted butter. Using a small knife, slice the vanilla bean down the middle and scape out the tiny seeds. Discard the bean or save it for another purpose, and add the seeds to the egg mixture.
- In a separated medium mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, all purpose flour, sugar, salt, and stir to blend. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just incoroporated.
- Spread the cherries into the prepared baking dish (possibly cut side down). Pour the batter over the cherries. Bake until the clafoutis is golden brown and just firm, with a spongelike texture, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish, if desired, with confectioners’ sugar and toasted almonds.
The clafoutis is delicious served warm from the oven. The almond flour adds a little bit of nutty sweetness.
- Serving Size: 8 portions