Cheesy Potato Artichoke Casserole, now this is what we call real Italian comfort food, earthy tender artichokes meets roasted potato and melted cheese with a crispy gooey breadcrumb top. You cannot get any better than that!
- 12 baby artichokes
- Medium bowl of cold water
- 1/2 lemon, sliced in circles
- 1 small delicata squash
- 3 medium potatoes
- 60 g grated Parmigiano cheese
- 150 g Crotonese cheese, cubed
- 1/8 cup of fine Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 3 Tablespoons e.v.o. oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea Salt and fresh cracked black pepper for seasoning
- pinch of chili flakes
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F.
- Peel the outside artichoke leaves until you get to the soft vevety ones, and cut the top of the artichoke removing the tips of the leaves.
- Cut artichokes into quarters and place in a bowl of cold water with the lemon slices for about 10 minutes. Repeat this process until all the artichokes are done.
- Cut delicata squash in half, scoop out the pulp and seeds, then peel and cube the squash. Place in a bowl set aside.
- Peel, wash and cut potatoes into semi thin rounds and 2-3 mm. Place in lemon water with artichokes.
- Drain artichokes and place in a saute pan with some olive oil and water, salt and pepper, and simmer for about 10 minutes on low to medium heat. Drain the potatoes in a strainer and place in an oiled 14" x 10" baking dish with the squash. Add in the steamed artichokes.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs leaving a little for the end, add in Parmigiano, reserving a bit for the end too and drizzle with olive oil . Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Toss in cubed Crotonese cheese and with clean hands toss getting all the bits well coated and blended.
- Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs and Parmigiano, drizzle a little olive oil over top. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until you can see the cheese all melted and getting crispy.
- Take out of oven, sprinkle with some fresh chopped parsley, and it's ready to serve.
- I used a combination of yellow and red potatoes, but if you only have one kind that will work just fine.
- If you cannot find the Crotonese than use whatever cheese you like but make sure that it is cut into 1 cm cubes.
- If you want an extra crispy top at the end put the oven on grill for about a minute or two but watch closely so it doesn't burn.
- Category: Side dish, Vegetarian
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediteranean