Carnival Italian Sweet Ricotta Ravioli, a pocket full of goodness! A delightful pastry shell hosting a creamy lightly sweetened ricotta filling with wonderful morsels of dark chocolate, cinnamon, and Grand Marnier.
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 50 g vegetable oil (we used sunflower oil)
- 45 g butter, melted
- 60 g milk
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 340 g flour 00 or all-purpose, sifted
- 300 g ricotta
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp sugar (any kind)
- 2 tsp liquor (Rum or Grand Marnier) (optional)
- 1/2 lemon, the zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg yolk
- milk for brushing the top
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and the eggs and mix well. Now add the oil, the melted butter, the milk, the lemon juice and zest. Mix well.
- Start adding the sifted flour a little at a time, kneading with your hands until you feel that the dough is soft, smooth and looks homogeneous.
- Form a ball with the dough and wrap it in plastic. Refrigerate for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ricotta filling and preheat the oven to 320° F (160°C).
- In a medium bowl, add the ricotta, sugar, cinnamon, liqueur, lemon zest, egg yolk, and at the end fold in the chocolate chips.
- Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon or a spatula until you have a smooth and soft cream.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and remove the plastic.
- Dust the work surface with flour, place the center of the dough and roll it out with a rolling pin until obtaining a thinness of about 2 mm.
- Using a cookie cutter, or a glass, cut rounds of dough of about 10 cm.
- Place a teaspoon of ricotta filling in the middle, fold in half and seal the edges with a fork.
- Place the ravioli on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Brush the top with milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Let them cool on a rack, then sprinkle with abundant powdered sugar.