Carbonara, a classic Roman dish, widely known and appreciated. A simple yet super tasty pasta, creamy without the use of cream, with just 4 ingredients: guanciale, eggs, Parmigiano/pecorino and black pepper. A quick pasta to make, that will surely become a favorite.
- 400 g spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup guanciale, cut into thin strips (or lightly smoked bacon if you can’t find guanciale)
- 2 eggs, organic, free range
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano and parmigiano reggiano mixed
- 2 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil.
- In a large saute pan heat up olive oil and add guanciale. Saute till crispy and fat is rendered. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, Parmigiano, pecorino and black pepper.
- Place pasta in boiling water, stir and cook to al dente texture or according to cooking instructions on the package.
- Drain pasta leaving aside some pasta water, and toss in the pan with guanciale, pouring egg/cheese/pepper mixture and stirring consistently to coat the pasta. Add some pasta water in case you need more fluid.
- Place back on the stove top on very low heat, continue to stir for about 1 minute, avoiding overcooking the egg, that has to remain creamy and smooth, not curdled.
- Serve immediately.
If you really like the crispy bits, you can reserve few guanciale strips to garnish the plate of pasta. You could also ground some more black pepper on top, to your liking.