Capricciosa Pizza is a classic Italian pizza. The "Capricciosa", as everybody calls it, is on every pizzeria's menu, usually under the list of traditional pizzas. Its staple ingredients are tomato puree, mozzarella, cremini mushrooms, artichoke hearts, black olives, and prosciutto cotto (Italian cooked ham).
- 1 pizza dough, homemade or store-bought (about 270 g)
- 125 g (1 package) fresh mozzarella
- 40 g (about 3) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 black olives (Gaeta or Kalamata) pitted and halved
- 40 g prosciutto cotto (Italian ham), broken into pieces
- 50 g carciofini (sliced artichoke hearts in oil)
- 3 Tbsp canned San Marzano tomatoes, crushed or pureed and dressed with 1 Tbsp evo oil, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of oregano)
- Hand crush or puree the canned tomatoes into a bowl. Drizzle in olive oil, and sprinkle in salt and oregano. Mix with a spoon. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil a 12-inch round pizza pan. Stretch the pizza dough starting from the center and working your way to the outside rim of the pan creating a nice thicker border.
- Spoon some tomato sauce on top, and in a circular motion with the back of a spoon spread the sauce to the outside edges of the dough leaving a 1 cm border.
- Place the mozzarella on top of the sauce evenly distributing it throughout, keeping some for the finish.
- Next, take the cooked ham and tear it apart scattering it throughout the pizza.
- Do the same with the artichoke hearts, sliced fresh mushrooms, and halved black olives.
- Toss on the rest of the mozzarella.
- Drizzle with olive oil and place in the hot oven on the middle rack, on top of the pizza stone.
- Halfway through the cooking process, use a spatula to take the pizza out of the pan and place it directly on the pizza stone to crisp up.
- The pizza is done when the border is golden in color and the cheese is well melted, about 15 minutes in total.
- Take out of the oven, let sit for a couple of minutes, cut and serve.
The prep time does not include the making of the pizza dough. This requires at least 2 and a half hours.
- Category: Pizza & Focaccia
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: capricciosa, pizza, Italian, traditional, mushrooms, ham, olives, artichoke hearts