- 1 butternut squash
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 small cipollini onions
- e.v.o. oil
- 1 stalk celery minced
- 3 carrots washed peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 3 cobs corn
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed mushrooms (Crimini, Shiitake, Oyster)
- A large potato washed and diced
- 1/2 yellow onion cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili flakes
- 5 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of half & half cream
- 1 cup of shredded applewood smoked cheddar
- 1 dollop butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- A sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and lay on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place one garlic and cipollini onion into the bowl of the squash.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, cracked black pepper, onion and garlic powder, paprika, and turn over onto parchment.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a knife can pierce easily through the skin and center. Take out of oven and cool.
- While the squash is roasting, take the husks off the corn wash and place into a large pot of boiling water. Cook for 15 minutes. Take out of water and set aside to cool.
- In a medium cast pot drizzle in some olive oil. Toss in garlic and throw in all the veggies, saute for 15 minutes till they start to soften and caramelize.
- In another large cast pot, scoop out insides of squash and throw in grilled onions and a clove of garlic. Add in butter and sprinkle with flour. Let that form a thick paste and let it brown slightly.
- Time to add vegetable stock and half & half cream. With a hand blender blend ingredients until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- While the veggies are sauteing, pre-heat grill
- Drizzle corn with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, paprika, fresh parsley.
- Do the same for the onion rounds.
- Place corn on grill and onions on a grilling sheet that was preheating on the grill.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until a nice subtle char has happened. Remember to turn over the onions to get them evenly cooked.
- Take everything off grill and set aside.
- Shuck the corn into a bowl.
Pulling it all together:
- Now time to get the sauteed veggies and the grilled corn into the creamy broth.
- Stir in the smoked cheddar and let simmer on low low heat for 20 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
- Ready to serve.
- It may be tough to have all the ingredients, however be creative and use what you have.
- Cast pots are great to keep even heat for simmering soups, but if you don't have one use the pots you have or even a slow cooker can be useful.
- Most of all have some fun and laughs making this soup. It will make it taste even better!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Category: Soups
- Method: stovetop/ roasting/ grilling
- Cuisine: Canadian
Keywords: chowder, soup, grilled corn, potatoes, zucchini, creamy, charred onion,, hearty, cauliflower, potatoes,