Butter Chicken Wings for Savannah. You want to talk about layers of flavor! Well, when you bite into one of these wings you will be transported straight to the promise land. Dry spice meets rich butter sauce in an entanglement of texture and deliciousness! All thanks to my granddaughter Savannah!
- 600 g chicken wings
Seasonings for wings:
- A sprinkling of salt and white pepper
- 1 teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp each of turmeric powder, cumin seeds, yellow curry powder, garam masala.
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek leaves
- 2 dried lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 1/2 Tbsp yogurt (I used plain Greek yogurt)
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp each of turmeric powder, ground coriander seeds, ground fenugreek leaves, allspice, onion
- powder, and garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- salt to taste
- Pinch of paprika
- 2 lime leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 450 ml can of stewed tomatoes pureed
- 1 small can of coconut cream
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Wash and pat dry the wings. Sprinkle with salt, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Turn wings over and do the same to the other side and toss to make sure wings are well seasoned.
- In a medium sauce pan heat up all the spices with the ginger and garlic till it begins to smoke a bit. Place the spices into the mortar and pestle leaving the bay leaves and lime leaves in to pan.
- Grind the spices, ginger, and garlic and place back in the pan and pour in the ghee. Heat for about 1 minute then add the yogurt. Stir until it becomes a thickened sauce, then take off heat.
- Pour over wings once cooled and massage marinade into the wings until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- In a pan saute onions, garlic, and ginger on medium heat, with the ghee for about 2 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Slowly add in all the spices and stir until it begins to toast and smoke a bit around 1 minute. Take spice mix out of pan leaving the lime and bay leaves in pan. Place spices into a mortar and pestle and grind into a paste. Toss paste back into pan and add ghee. Saute on medium heat for 1 minute then pour in yogurt. Stir until a beautiful consistent color happens. Take off heat and cool.
- Pour marinade over wings and toss well until wings are well coated.
- Cover with plastic and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- In a medium sauce pan heat up ghee. Toss in garlic, ginger and onions and saute for 2 minutes or until onions have softened.
- Slowly add all the spices and seasoning and stir until it begins to form a paste.
- Add in tomatoes, stir and then add in coconut cream. Stir again until well incorporated. Cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Take wings out of fridge. Pre-heat barbecue to around 400 degrees F. Place a perforated grilling tray on barbecue and heat for about 1 minute. Pour some vegetable oil onto some paper towel and rub onto grilling tray coating it well. Place wings on tray and cook for 3 minutes watching them closely so they don’t burn. turn over and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until a beautiful golden brown crust forms on the surface. Take off grill.
- Take wings and put into the butter sauce that is simmering on the stove. Spoon sauce over so wings are submerged into the sauce. Cover and cook on low heat for 1 hour. Check often and stir to make sure sauce is not sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
- Take wings out of the pan and place on a serving platter. Pour sauce over and garnish with some freshly chopped cilantro.
- Ready to serve.
You can marinate the wings overnight if you wish.
If you like your sauce a bit spicier, then you could add in more red chili powder or fresh chopped red chilis.
The wings could also be baked in the oven on a nonstick pan at 400 degrees F if you don’t have a barbecue.
If you are vegetarian, no worries, just substitute firm tofu for the chicken wings.
You can serve this with some nice Basmati rice or naan bread.