Italian Buckwheat and Jam Cake. Sometimes all you need to satisfy that sweet craving is a nice jam bar. This recipe is made with buckwheat flour, so it is naturally gluten-free and has a lovely mixed berry jam filling.
- 350 g Greek yogurt
- 120 g peanut (or sunflower) oil
- 120 g coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 280 g buckwheat flour
- 16 g (1 package) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- mixed berry jam, for the filling
- icing sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Use clips to keep the paper in place.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar together with the yogurt, oil, vanilla extract, milk.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt, then add to the wet ingredients, adding a little more milk if too thick. Mix gently until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and level the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Using a sharp bread knife, cut the cake in half creating two cake layers. Spread a generous amount of berry jam on the bottom half, then cover with the top cake.
- With the bread knife cut the cake into 16 squares.
- Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
If you use plant-based yogurt and milk, this cake is also dairy-free and vegan.
You can freeze part of the cake before filling it with jam.
The cake keeps well in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Category: Dessert, cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: buckwheat flour, yogurt, jam, vegetable oil, italian, cake, dessert, healthy