Recipe adapted from the cookbook “Oh She Glows Everyday” by Angela Liddon.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 small-medium carrots, chopped
- 1 broccoli head, cut into florets
- 1 small sweet potato or half big one, peeled and diced.
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- sea salt, and cracked black pepper
- Toasted pepitas
- Cubed bread croutons
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of garlic powder, salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot drizzle in olive oil and bring to a medium to high heat.
- Toss in carrots, onions, and celery.
- Season with a bit of sea salt, cracked pepper, and paprika.
- Saute until veggies start to soften.
- Now add in broccoli, sweet potato, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Splash in lemon juice.
- Cook for a few minutes, then pour in vegetable broth.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Check sweet potato and broccoli, when they are fork tender turn heat off.
- Take out bay leaves, and with a hand blender puree until smooth and velvety.
- Add in nutritional yeast and vegan cheese and stir until well blended and melted.
- While soup is simmering combine in a bowl croutons, salt pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well, tossing with your hands.
- Place croutons on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a 400° F oven till golden brown, about 2-4 minutes. Take out of oven and cool.
- Ladle soup into a bowl.
- Sprinkle some paprika onto surface of soup.
- Carefully place the garlic croutons on top, along with the toasted pepitas.
- Ready to serve.
Use gluten-free bread to make croutons, in order for the soup to be gluten-free.
- Serving Size: 4 servings