Braised Purple Cabbage with Dill and Garlic, this is a side dish that brings color, texture and flavor to the table. It is very versatile and can accompany a variety of main dishes, yet it packs enough in many ways on its own. It is purple cabbage season and this is definitely a side dish for you!
Let's talk side dishes
We hear a lot about mains but sometimes a side can be the star of the show. However, sides are a also a very important part of the meal. Like music, sides offer the back drops that only let the the main shine. Today I am going to show you a jewel of a side that is going to steal your heart! Come and join me in the kitchen and let's make this Braised Purple Cabbage with Dill and Garlic together!
This is what you will need for the Braised Purple Cabbage with Dill and Garlic
The recipe is pretty simple and this is what you will need:
- purple cabbage
- olive oil
- dried dill
- onion and garlic powder
- vegetable stock
- red chili flakes
For equipment this is what is needed:
- a deep sauté pan
- wooden spoon
- good chopping knife
How to put this dish together
This dish really takes the technique that is truly Italian in nature. This is how we braise this wonderful vegetable:
- Firstly, we want to get the olive oil flavored with garlic and red chili flakes. and that we want to swish around the pan. A very important step that we use when doing a variety of vegetables in Italy.
- Secondly, we get our heat going, add in the butter, and when we hear that garlic sizzling, this is the time we want to add the shallots and onions that are chopped. This needs to sweat out and when that has happened and those onions look translucent, it is time to add the shredded purple cabbage.
Best to add a little of the cabbage at a time
You are probably asking why not dump all the cabbage at one time. Well, here is my answer. I do this because I want to make sure the cabbage gets coated with that lovely garlic and sweet onion flavor along with the olive oil. Here is the next step after all the cabbage is in:
- Now that the cabbage is all in and well incorporated, it is time to season with onion and garlic powder, salt, and pepper. A good stir and we want to sprinkle in the dried dill at this time. Another good stir and we are on to the final steps of this Braised Purple Cabbage with Dill and Garlic
A little broth goes a long way
When we talk braising, it encompasses two modes of cooking. Firstly the browning which we did, then the slow stewing with liquid. This is where the broth comes in. It also adds so much flavor aiding the vegetables to be elevated in all the seasonings plus getting that lovely texture that we want. The last step is this:
- Pour the vegetable broth in and give the cabbage a good stir. Now we want to turn that heat down and put a cover on the pan. This will simmer for a bit until that soft yet slight bite texture is achieved.
The cover is off
The cabbage is done and we take the cover off and give the cabbage a good stir. Give it a taste to make sure you have the texture you want. It is really time to plate this wonderful side dish and serve it!
What goes well with this Braised Purple Cabbage?
This lovely dish will go with chicken, beef, pork, fish, and even a tofu. I have even done it with perogies. I would even have this with just a steamed rice or a coconut rice and make it a vegan meal. We love this dish and with the plethora of purple cabbage in the markets it is a good choice for a side. It has lovely color, texture and flavor and one that will make your main shine. Thanks for joining me in the kitchen for this Braised Purple Cabbage with Dill and Garlic. Always a pleasure to cook together in the kitchen!
- 400 g purple cabbage shredded
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic whole
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- pinch of red chili flakes
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- In a deep sauté pan drizzle in olive oil and add garlic and chili flakes. Swish that around the pan a bit.
- Turn heat to a medium and add butter. When the garlic starts to sizzle, throw in shallots and onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Now add the shredded cabbage a bit at a time and stir in between to make sure cabbage gets nice and coated with all that flavor in the pan.
- Once you have all the cabbage in and well incorporated, season with the garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper, and finally sprinkle with the dried dill. Give it a good stir with a wooden fork. Let that sauté for about 10 minutes. stirring frequently.
- It is time to get to add the broth and with another good stir the lid can go on. Make sure to turn the heat down. Let that simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Take lid off and stir it again. Place into a serving platter and serve!
You can use chicken broth also for the braising liquid or just water if you prefer.
Red cabbage or regular cabbage will work just as well for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 32 minutes
- Category: side dishes
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: braised purple cabbage, side dish, vegetarian, vegan, healthy, garlic, shallot, onions, vegetable stock,
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.