Blueberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins with Spelt Flour. Summer is in full swing and this means plenty of berries to bake with. Our garden is still producing rhubarb, so I decided to mix blueberries and rhubarb to make these delectable spelt flour muffins. The choice was spot-on! Blueberries and rhubarb are a match made to impress. These muffins are light and tender, mildly sweet and lovely tart with a hint of nuttiness from the flour. Breakfast or snack just got better!
Song of the day: Free Spirit - Khalid
So many berries on the market stalls! I love this time of the year for the abundance of fruit and vegetables and when we go to our usual farmer's markets, we always come back home with plenty of berries. Blueberries are a great choice these days, they are sweet and plump and perfect to eat by the handful, add to smoothies, salads, yogurt, and of course, exceptional to bake with.
Blueberry Rhubarb what a great combination!
Have you tried the blueberry/rhubarb combo? If you did, you already know how delicious it is. They go perfectly together since the sweetness of the blueberries mitigates the tartness of the rhubarb and vice versa. If you haven't, I hope I am inspiring you to try.
Moreover, in these muffins, I used spelt flour and added lemon zest, cinnamon, and a touch of nutmeg, all flavors that compliment the duo bringing it to new heights.
Two bowls and a muffin pan
- In a large bowl, combine spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and a pinch of grated nutmeg. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, honey, and yogurt.
- Add the blueberries, chopped rhubarb, and lemon zest to the dry ingredients and fold gently.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture just until combined.
- Using a tablespoon, fill the muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack.
Blue and red speckles in these golden muffins
Don't you love the hues of these muffins? The golden color is accentuated by the use of spelt flour and it is speckled with blue and red. At this point, I am eager to break one open and check the texture. Plus, I really want to taste one. The smell is lovely and just sparks my hunger.
All in all, these Blueberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins are my kind of muffins. They are soft and light and most important, they are not too sweet. The use of spelt flour, yogurt, and honey together with the berries and rhubarb, makes them a wholesome choice for breakfast or afternoon snack, for kids and grown-ups alike.
Enjoy a taste of summer!Print