- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter shaved
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- brown sugar for topping
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Put in shaved butter, lightly mix by hand till it resembles small gravel-
- Add in chocolate chips, cream cheese, lemon zest.
- Add blueberries mix lightly until ingredients are well balanced in mixture.
- In another bowl mix eggs, coconut milk, milk, vanilla, corn syrup till well blended.
- Pour a little of the wet mixture into the dry lightly mixing until wet is finished.
- Do not over mix.
- If dough seems too wet add more flour as needed.
- At the end add just a bit of flour, mix slightly.
- Pre heat oven to 375° F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a nice heaping tablespoon of mixture onto parchment, and spread out a bit leaving space between each scone because they spread out a bit during baking.
- If you want a more clean cut scone use a knife or cutter.
- Sprinkle with some brown sugar on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of oven and place scones on a cooling rack.
- Ready to serve.
Store scones in a basket, covered lightly with a cloth.
If you put the scones in a plastic container covered it makes the scones moist and soggy, loosing that light crumbly texture.,
If you want you can freeze them well packaged and place them in the oven to thaw and bake a bit.
I usually warm them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350° F the next day.