Barley and Cannellini bean Soup, this is love, cozy and comfort in a bowl. Always bring me back to my Italian home with those harvest fresh flavors, and lovely textures. Fall is in the air, cooler nights are coming. This soup is the perfect thing to wrap your hands around and enjoy!
[This post is sponsored by Ontario Bean Growers. We’ve been compensated but -as always- all opinions are our own.]
Soup season has sprung!
I don't know about you, however in our part of the woods it is a little bit colder, especially our mornings and evenings. I love this harvest season, so many wonderful things to make incredible soups. Beans are also a favorite of ours and white beans/cannellini, likewise, are sweet, earthy, starchy, and delicious. Perfect for this Barley and Cannellini bean soup!
Time to get into the kitchen and make some Barley and Cannellini bean soup!
Are you one of those that loves the aroma of soup simmering in the kitchen? I definitely am. It brings me back home to some fall Sundays when my parents would be up making brodo (broth) and a delicious soup for lunch!
Today we are going to do just that. So get your aprons on, come into our kitchen, and let's get started!
The ingredients for this Barley and Cannellini bean soup!
- pearled barley
- cannellini beans
- purple onion, minced
- carrots, finely diced
- celery, finely diced
- cherry tomatoes, quartered
- cabbage, shredded
- bay leaf
- fresh rosemary
- vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
The first two steps of making this soup!
As with any soups, we need to build the flavor. To do this we are going to:
- Sauté the mirepoix (carrots, celery, onion) with the garlic, herbs, bay leaf, and olive oil.
- Remember to season at this point with salt and pepper.
- The next step is to toast the barley in all that flavorful goodness. Some good stirring is needed here. Then in goes the broth. Turn heat down to a low simmer. I can just smell the aroma. It is making me so hungry, however will have to wait!
The last two stages of cooking this Barley and Cannellini bean soup
We are just about there. There are just two more things that we need to add. We do this in two stages because I don't want to overcook the beans which were the canned type, so don't need much time to cook. So here are the stages:
- The soup has been simmering for about 15 minutes. Time to add the shredded cabbage. Cover, and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Now it is time for the beans. In they go, and a gentle stir. A final 10 minutes of cooking and this soup is ready.
The aroma of this Barley and Cannellini bean soup is amazing!
This soup has this sweet comforting aroma, it has me salivating. I am going to plate this baby!
Does that not just look so comforting?
My spoon is ready. Let's have a taste. Mmmmmmm, this is amazing! I taste the cabbage, the mirepoix. The stars truly do shine, the barley is nice and al dente with a lovely nuttiness. It pairs so well with that velvety starchiness and sweetness of the cannellini. Pure luxury in a spoonful!
I can't stop eating this Barley and Cannellini bean soup!
I can feel the chills of cooler temperatures just melting away. Spoon after spoon, flavor upon flavor, I can't stop eating this. It is too good. Want a soup that captures your heart and soul? Then this Barley and Cannellini bean soup is the bowl of goodness you need to try!
Let us know how you like it, send a pic, Dm us, we would love to hear from you!
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium purple onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, whole
- 2 tablespoon evo oil
- a pinch of chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- a handful cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup pearled barley
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- about 2 cups shredded Green or Savoy cabbage
- 1 jar (340 ml) white beans (cannellini)
- Gather up a medium size cast soup pot or any soup pot you have. Drizzle in the olive oil, toss in the pressed garlic and dried chili flakes.
- Turn heat to a medium setting and when the garlic starts to sizzle add in the carrots, celery, and onions. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, bay leaf, and rosemary, and give it a good stir. Season with salt and pepper and let that cook for about 1 minute.
- Toss in barley and stir to get that barley toasted and flavored with everything in the pot. That will toast for about 2 minutes, then add the vegetable stock. Lower heat to a low to medium setting, so this can simmer for 15 minutes partially covered.
- At this point throw in the shredded cabbage and again give it a good stir. Partially cover, and let that simmer for 10 minutes.
- Time to throw in the cannellini beans. Mix that in gently and partially cover again. Let that simmer for about 5-7 minutes, taste the barley, it should be al dente, meaning a nice bite to it. Taste it for seasoning and adjust as needed. Take out garlic and bay leaf.
- Ready to serve! Enjoy!
You can use Napa or Savoy cabbage, or any of the green cabbage you can find.
If you use whole barley instead of pearled, make sure to add more cooking time and also more broth.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: soup, fall recipe, cannellini beans, barley, comfort food, carrots, vegan, vegetarian, cabbage
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.