These mini cakes are moist, soft and a bit crunchy, with a lovely banana flavor, the crunch of the walnuts and the sweetness of the white chocolate chips.
I believe you all know about my passion for antique markets. I love when with my husband we go to places like the Antique Mall here in Edmonton and during our stroll around its corridors I find "that" particular piece that I didn't know I was looking for, but that it inevitably pulls me in to bring it home. That's what happened with four cute old mini cake molds and a small hand painted plate. As soon as I saw them, I fell in love with them and my mind was alreay creating the right dessert to highlight their beauty. Hope I did them justice.
Of course mini cakes were in the picture, but which kind? Sitting alone in the fruit basket -it seems a recurrent theme in my kitchen stories- there was a lonely ripe banana, perfect main character of my dessert: Banana Walnut White Chocolate Chips Mini Cakes.
I chose the other ingredients according to what I had, so: fresh farm eggs, all purpose flour, coconut sugar, a splash of vanilla honey greek yogurt, a handful of walnuts, a drop of vanilla, some white chocolate chips and the final touch of fresh blueberries on top.
I love banana bread. I love its softeness, richness in flavour and mostly the fact that it is not super sweet.
These mini cakes are so beautiful, perfectly moist, soft and a bit crunchy. There's of course the banana flavour, but then the vanilla honey yogurt steps in, the coconut sugar makes its appearance both in color and taste, followed by the crunch of the walnuts and the sweetness of the white chocolate chips. A well balanced combination of flavours to please your taste buds.
Isn't the plate adorable too? I love going "props hunting". What about you? I'd like to know if you -like me- like browsing the shelfs of second-hand, thrift stores, antique malls, hoping to find the right pieces to add to your collection.Print
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or any sugar of your choice)
- 1 egg
- 1 banana, ripe, mashed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ cup walnuts (optional)
- ¼ cup white (or dark) chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Butter and flour the moulds.
- In a mixing bowl mash the banana, add the vanilla, egg, yogurt, butter.
- In another bowl mix the sifted flour, baking soda, pinch of salt, sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixing gently.
- Add the optional chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake moulds and cook in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. They should be a nice golden brown.
- Let cool on a rack and dust with icing sugar.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
I love baking and kneading dough because it takes me to a happy place in my soul.