Baked cod with garlic mayonnaise is everything you would want from a fish dish. Light flaky cod so moist and delicate steamed under a layer of capers, anchovies, and seasoned Italian breadcrumbs. The end result, a crispy surface and surprise succulent middle. Furthermore, elevated even more with a side serving of garlic mayo to have with it. Absolutely delicious!
Remember fish when you're meal planning
We like meal planning, it is a great way to get organized, not waste food, and also eat more balanced, with a great variety. Most people I talk to say we don't eat enough fish, or don't know how to prepare it properly. Well, I am here to tell you, it is easy and you are going to love this Baked cod with garlic mayonnaise!
Why would you want to eat this Baked Cod with Garlic Mayonnaise?
There are many reasons why you would want to have this dish. Things like:
- It is easy
- Takes little time
- Very healthy
- Tastes amazing
- Brings variety to your table
Sometimes a jewel is right under your nose
It is kind of funny, we have so many cookbooks in our office, many of which are older and almost vintage or mid century, to which I may add never ever looked at. I was just sitting in the office when this book kept jumping out at me "The Ultimate Italian Cookbook" by Carla Capalbo. The need to pull it out and take a gander took over and was so delighted to find many wonderful recipes. That is where I came across this cod recipe. Today I am sharing it with you, so come and let's cook some good fish together!
Here is what you will need for this Baked Cod with Garlic Mayonnaise:
You have to love recipes like this that require very few ingredients, but deliver on flavor and texture. Simple ingredients and here they are:
- fresh skinless cod
- anchovy fillets
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley
- olive oil
- bread crumbs
- olive oil mayo
- Dijon mustard
What you will need for equipment:
Again, this recipe is pretty simple, no high tech gadgets, just this:
- 9x15 baking dish
- small mixing bowl
- small whisk
Now we are ready to make this Baked Cod with Garlic Mayonnaise!
- First things first, always important to rinse the cod and pat it dry with some paper towel.
- Secondly, in a small bowl, mix up the olive oil, anchovies, capers, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Thirdly, spoon the anchovy/caper mixture onto the fish and spread it all over the surface of the fish.
This is where the texture comes in
Time to get a nice layer of breadcrumbs on. I wanted a bit more flavor in this layer so I used the Italian-style breadcrumbs that has spices and Parmigiano inside. This will give me the crust, texture, and flavor I want to achieve. With that being said, let's do this together:
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs all over the top of the seasoned and marinated fish. Pat it down a bit, then sprinkle some more.
- Don't worry about the breadcrumbs falling in between the fish, it will just add to the the flavors.
- Be generous with this layer. It will seal that fish so it steams on the inside, and that, my friends, means tender and flaky to me!
- Into a pre-heated 400°Fahrenheit (200° Celsius) oven it goes on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish.
Now's a good time to make the garlic mayonnaise!
There is really two ways you can go with this:
- First you could make your own mayonnaise by smashing the garlic, mixing in egg yolks and mustard. Then here comes the work out, while slowly adding in the oil in a thin stream, you have to whisk briskly until it thickens. Into the fridge it goes covers with plastic wrap.
- Secondly you could just use a good quality store-bought mayo. I like the olive oil mayo, has tons of flavor and is so velvety smooth. Add some minced garlic or garlic powder, mustard, salt and pepper. A good whisk to combine, and it is done!
- Either way you do it, I am sure your mayo will be fantastic.
I just love the aroma of this baked cod!
Time for a taste!
I love the crispness of the breadcrumb top, and I can see that layer of silkiness coming from that anchovy, caper, parsley oil. This is really exciting when you see how flaky, moist, and tender the cod is. Time to have a bite! Yum, the fish is perfectly succulent, moist, and so flavored with the acidity and saltiness of the anchovies, and that lovely richness of the olive oil.
I love the breadcrumb top. It is so crispy and tasty offering some opposite texture to the softness of the fish. A kind of best of both worlds experience. Add in the garlic mayo, that in each bite pairs so well with everything going on with the fish. It just highlights all the notes in this dish and is not so strong that it masks the fish. This dish is fantastic, it checks off all the boxes for me!
I know that I will be making this Baked Cod with Garlic Mayonnaise again and again!
Happy cooking everyone!Print
- 800g fresh cod, cut into serving size pieces
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 Tbsp capers chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- ⅓ cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbsp olive oil mayo
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
For homemade garlic mayo:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Rinse the fish and pat dry with a paper towel. Place fish in an oiled 9x15 baking sheet.
- In a small mixing bowl pour in oil, toss in anchovy fillets, parsley, and capers. Season with salt and pepper and whisk, breaking up the anchovy fillets into small pieces.
- Pour this mixture all over the fish and with a spoon spread it so top of fish is well coated.
- Sprinkle top of fish with some of the breadcrumbs and pat down with you fingers. Add the rest of the bread crumbs. Don't worry if some gets in between the fish pieces.
- Pre-heatthe oven to 400° F/200°C. Place fish on the middle rack, and bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish, or until breadcrumbs turn a lovely golden brown.
Garlic Mayonnaise (store bought):
- While the fish is baking in the oven, mix mayo, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Give it a good whisk, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge.
Garlic mayonnaise (homemade):
- Place grated garlic in a mixing bowl, add eggs and mustard and beat with a fork.
- Slowly pour the olive oil in a slow stream at the same time whisk vigorously until mixture becomes thick. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic and place in fridge.
- Take fish out of the oven, let sit for a few minutes.
- Grab garlic mayo out of the fridge.
- Plate fish and serve with a side of the garlic mayo!
If you can't find the Italian breadcrumbs you can use the plain ones.
If you want to season the plain breadcrumbs you can add some dried oregano and parsley and also some grated Parmigiano.
This recipe would work with other kinds of fish like halibut, sole, snapper etc.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cod, fish recipe, Italian cuisine, capers, garlic mayo, mustard, Italian breadcrumbs, Mediterranean food,
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.