Baba Ganoush with Cannellini beans, Pistachios and Paprika. Spring has sprung and it’s time to bring color and flavor to the table. Wonderful middle eastern flavors such as roasted eggplant, tahini, sesame seeds and e.v.o. oil meets delicious fresh veggies in a union that will have your taste buds talking!
- 1 kg of aubergines (about 3 small ones or one large)
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, rosemary, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika
- Dash of salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 3 green onions
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, center removed
- 100 g of cannellini beans
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp soy sauce (or tamarind)
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp toasted pistachios
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- chopped fresh mint and basil
Pita, grissini (breadsticks), and fresh vegetables for serving
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Wash and dry eggplant, cut into quarters and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle in olive oil and sprinkle in oregano, rosemary, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper, and toss.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until eggplant is soft and fork tender.
- Take out of oven and let cool.
- While the eggplant is roasting wash, clean, and slice veggies, set aside.
- While eggplant is cooling place tahini and olive oil in food processor.
- Once eggplant is cool, scoop pulp of half of the roasted eggplant into the food processor. Pulse for a few minutes until it starts to look smooth, adding more olive oil if necessary.
- Toss in cannellini beans and pulse again for a minute or until the cannellini are well incorporated.
- Add in the rest of the eggplant pulp and fresh garlic along with some salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Give it a few minutes of processing until velvety smooth and it’s ready to plate.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil and paprika and whisk.
- In a small cast iron pan roast sesame seeds till browned a bit on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes. Do the same with the pistachio.
- Take pistachio and place in a mortar and pestle and crush and crumble.
- Scoop Baba Ganoush into a bowl, and with a spoon create a spiral well.
- Mix the paprika oil again and slowly pour into the spiral well on the top of the dip.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and pistachios, and finish with a dusting of the chopped fresh basil and mint.
- Assemble veggies all around.
- Ready to serve.
- Instead of the sour cream you can use plain greek yogurt.
- You can also use the Asian eggplant instead of the standard kind.
- If you have a nut allergy just use the sesame seeds.