- 2 cups demerara sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups sunflower oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped nuts (we used almonds and walnuts)
- 4 organic, free-range eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 1/2 cups organic, unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1–8 oz package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, melted slowly
- Turn the oven up to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch cake pans with butter or nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the demerara sugar, oil, eggs, together until combined. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cardamom together until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold the ingredients together until just combined. Then, fold in the carrots, the nuts and the shredded coconut.
- Pour the batter evenly into the two cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the icing sugar and maple syrup. Beat for 2-3 more minutes until well incorporated.
- Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or serving plate.
- Evenly cover the top with the cream cheese frosting.
- Top with 2nd cake layer and spread remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
- Decorate the sides and part of the top of the cake with the chopped almonds and pistachios.
- In a non stick pan slowly melt 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- With the help of a fork or a spoon drizzle the sugar onto a piece of parchment creating whatever design you like. Wait for it to cool and harden, then place it gently on the top of the cake.
Store frosted cake in the refrigerator for up to 7 days and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Serving Size: about 12 servings