Asian inspired Mushroom Dumplings, are beautiful appetizers that boast an incredible eating experience. Packed with incredible flavours and textures its an experience on its own. A perfect way to start an Asian dinner night on the right chopstick, lol.
- 1 egg, organic, free-range, beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 green onion stalks chopped fine
- 1 tsp lemongrass
- 1/2 dried thyme
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- splash of white wine
- fine sea salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chinkiang vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- splash of fish sauce
- splash of water
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- pinch red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth for steaming dumplings
- 2 tbsp canola oil for frying dumplings
- In a large bowl drizzle in flour and make a well.
- Place beaten egg into the water and mix well then pour into flour well.
- With a fork slowly bring outer edges of flour into the middle mixing until dough starts to come together.
- Flour a work surface and pour dough on.
- Work the dough with your hands kneading until it becomes soft and velvety sprinkling flour as needed, form into a ball and cut into four pieces shaping those into balls.
- Cover with a damp cloth for 10 minutes.
- Take each individual ball and cut that into four equal pieces and roll into a ball.
- On a floured work surface roll dough ball into a 10 1/2 x10 1/2 square sheet, and cut into 9 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 squares, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with a humid cloth, and set aside.
- Clean and wash mushrooms and chop into small pieces.
- In a saute pan bring canola and sesame oil to a med to high heat and toss in ginger, garlic, and saute for 1 minute.
- Toss in mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes or until mushrooms softened in soy sauce and a splash of white wine, season with salt and white pepper, and cook till the juices dissipate.
- Add in chopped green onion toss and take off heat, set aside.
- In a bowl whisk sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, fish sauce, water, sugar, chili flakes, and ginger, and set aside.
Assembly of Dumplings:
- Place wonton wrappers on a floured work surface, and brush warm water on all the outer edges.
- Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons of mushroom filling into centre of wonton wrapper, and take one corner and fold it diagonally forming a triangle.
- Press the edges firmly making sure the are sealed well and place on a baking sheet and cover with a humid cloth.
- In a saute pan drizzle in vegetable broth, toss in dumplings and cover. After five minutes turn dumplings and cover again. Let steam for 10 minutes.
- Take off cover and when broth dissipates add canola oil and fry for a few minutes until a golden colour starts to form on the surface.
- Take off heat and serve with dipping sauce.
If you don't have the time or effort to make the wonton wrappers home made then just get store bought. Next time you are in your Asian market just pick some up.
Another good tip is to keep the dough under a slightly damp cloth so that it stays moist.
The recipe makes 36 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 wonton wrappers if you don't want to make them all just freeze the dough ball.
- Category: Dumplings
- Method: Homemade
- Cuisine: Asian