Artichoke and Lemon Salad, Talk about a mouth awakening experience. Beautifully cooked Italian artichokes tossed with thyme, olive oil, lemon juice and a drizzling of honey. The uniqueness of this dish comes from the lemon rind slivers and the pistachio giving this salad surprise after surprise of freshness, flavor and texture!
- 12 Italian violet artichokes
- 2 large unwaxed lemons
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 handful shelled unsalted pistachios crushed
- Coarse sea salt
- Pinch of Fleur de sel
Artichokes and lemon:
- Place lemon into a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook for 30 minutes, take out and cool.
- Take the artichokes, wash them, and put in the same pot of boiling salted water that the lemon cooked in. Boil for 15-20 minutes or until knife tender. Take out and cool.
- While artichokes are cooling, cut the lemon in half. Scoop out the pulp and scrape the white flesh from the interior of the lemon skin.
- Cut lemon rind into thin slivers and set aside.
- Peel outer leaves of the artichokes until you get to the tender edible one on the interior. Cut about an inch and a quarter from the tip of the artichokes and then in quarters and place in a large bowl.
- In a mortar and pestle crush garlic and sea salt creating a paste.
- Add thyme from 4 sprigs and muddle into the garlic paste.
- Drizzle in olive oil and fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon and mix with the pestle.
- Add 3/4 of the lemon rind slivers to the artichokes and toss. Drizzle in dressing and mix well making sure dressing is evenly distributed.
- Place salad onto a board, garnish with last of the thyme, crushed pistachio, and a drizzle of lemon juice, and a sprinkling of fleur de sel.
- Ready to serve.
- This salad will last a couple of days. I had it the next day and it was fantastic.
- If you can't find the Italian artichokes, use the ones you can find, but remember to take the choke out of the bottom middle and also allow a bit more time to cook.
- If you want to make it vegan, replace the honey with a vegan liquid sweetener.
- Category: salad
- Method: boiling
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: artichokes, lemons, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, thyme, pistachio, honey,