Apple Pear Turnovers: a beautiful golden brown pocket full of goodness. The homemade pie crust so flaky and crunchy, with an apple pear combination filling, that is succulent, juicy, and sweet.
Duchess Cookbook Easy Mixer Pie Dough (makes 2 x 9-inch pie shells):
- 320 g (2 cups) organic, unbleached all purpose flour
- 113 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cubed, cold
- 100 g (1/2 cup) vegetable shortening, cubed,cold
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 121 g (1/2 cup) ice water
Apple and Pear Filling:
- 3 small apples
- 1 medium pear
- lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cardamom
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
For the pie dough:
- Place the flour, butter, shortening, salt in a stand mixer bowl. Mix on low speed until the you see crumbles and the mixture seems a bit dry. Do not overmix.
- Add the ice-cold water and mix on medium speed until the dough just comes together. You should still be able to see lumps of fat in the dough.
- Shape the dough into 2 balls, wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days. If you’re using just one, at this point you can freeze the other ball (it will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months).
- In the meantime, pre heat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the apples in cubes, squeeze in the lemon juice to prevent browning.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, heat up the butter, add the apples and pear, the maple syrup, brown sugar, nutmeg and cardamom. Stir, then reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes or until apples and pear are tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- After the 30 minutes, or more, in the fridge, take the dough out, lightly flour your work surface and place the cold pie dough, sprinkling some more flour on top. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough from the centre outward, using more flour if needed to prevent from sticking. Roll the dough in a rectangle about 1/2 cm thick.
- Using a square mold (mine was 11 cm, 4 1/2 inch), cut into squares (I had 7 squares)
- Brush the edge of each square with egg wash and spoon apple/pear mixture onto the center of each.
- Fold each in half diagonally to form a triangle. With a fork, press edges together to seal.
- Transfer the turnovers to the prepared baking sheet, and brush with egg wash.
- With a sharp knife cut a few vents into each turnover. If you have it, spoon some of the apple/pear juice into the vents, then sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden, then take out of the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.