These flourless almond butter chocolate chunk cookies have crispy edges, soft gooey chewy center, dark chocolatey goodness, with just a hint of sea saltiness on top.
I am more and more interested in sampling gluten-free foods, even if I don’t have any documented allergy, or intolerance. I do believe, though, that there are health benefits to gluten-free eating for the general population and that I nonetheless eat way too many carbs (as most Italians do). So, more often than not, I buy or bake gluten-free products….and I like them a lot.
These cookies, for instance, have all the goodness of usual chocolate chip cookies, but are flourless, packed with dark chocolate chunks (and everybody knows that dark chocolate is actually loaded with antioxidants and beneficial nutrients); moreover they have organic almond butter instead of regular butter. Almond butter, as well as almonds, is considered a healthy food choice. It provides that healthy fat not typically found in foods high in saturated fats and you get your intake of vitamin E, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium and phosphorus. I didn’t make my almond butter, but I am going to give it a try one day.
They are also the fastest cookies to make, no need for an electric mixer, just a medium bowl, a spatula, few good ingredients and in no time you and your family can enjoy these amazing almond butterchocolate chunk cookies.
And my reason for using chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips is only because in our house we always have good organic or fair trade dark chocolate bars and I prefer using them over chocolate chips.
They have crispy edges, soft gooey chewy center, dark chocolatey goodness, with just a hint of sea saltiness on top.
- 1 cup organic almond butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 1/2 tsp sea salt for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix the almond butter and the brown sugar.
- Add the egg, the vanilla, the baking soda.
- Lastly add the dark chocolate chunks or chips until well combined.
- Scoop the dough (about a tablespoon) onto prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle a tiny bit of sea salt on top the cookies.
- Cook in the oven, on middle rack, for about 10 minutes.
Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
In order to keep them fresh longer, you can store them in an airtight container.