All day American Breakfast Frittata. If you are like us we love the option of having breakfast all day long. Today we have combined a few of our favorite ingredients and put them into a Frittata. Sautéed onions, peppers, combined with crisyp baked hash brown bites, meets lovely cheesy fluffy eggs. Furthermore, for added freshness with a Mediterranean twist, cherry tomatoes, dressed with olive oil, balsamic cream fresh basil a pinch of dried oregano, salt and pepper. This dish is an all out meal in one bite, incredibly scrumptious!
Breakfast for lunch or dinner?
I would welcome breakfast any time of day. Actually I wouldn't have thought about it before, however my daughter Alexa loved breakfast so much and love when we made it for dinner. There the trend started and today we are going to share an all day breakfast dish that will fill all the boxes for ingredients needed for a lovely meal!
Christmas always ignites the breakfast craving for me. Whether Christmas morning or Boxing day, I am wanting a good hearty dish! Come with me into the kitchen and let's get cooking!
Kitchen tools needed for All day American Breakfast Frittata!
Really not much needed for this pretty easy recipe. Let's take a look:
- sauté pan
- medium bowl
- good chopping knife
- cutting board
- cast iron skillet
Time to gather and prep the ingredients!
I am one of those organized cooks. I like to have everything ready before getting into the nitty gritty of a dish. So with that being said, let's get the ingredients ready:
- orange and red pepper
- purple onion
- green onion
- back bacon
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- balsamic cream
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- grated queso cheese
- Firstly, chop up the purple and green onion and place in separate bowls.
- Secondly, dice up the peppers and back bacon. and place them in separate ramekins also.
- Thirdly, cut the cherry tomatoes in half and toss them in a ramekin with the olive oil, balsamic cream, oregano, chopped basil, salt and pepper.
- Fourthly, grate your cheese.
- Lastly, beat the eggs with some salt and pepper.
Time to have some fun assembling this All day American Breakfast Frittata!
So, to assemble this frittata and to get the most out of the layers of flavor, we need to do it in stages. This is how I do it:
- First I sauté the purple onion, peppers, and back bacon in a pan. Get that bacon nice and caramelized, and set aside. While that is happening, put the hash brown bites into the oven to crisp up.
- Now we want to get our cast iron skillet nice and greased with evo oil. Make sure to brush the oil up the sides.
- Next, we start by placing some of the sautéed veggies and back bacon into the bottom of the pan, place the baked hash brown bites sporadically, and sprinkle with green onion and some of the grated cheese.
- This is where I pour in half of the egg mixture, and then repeat the process again with the sautéed veggie back bacon mixture, green onion and cheese.
- Finally, I pour the rest of the egg mixture and top that with more sautéed ingredients, chopped green onion, grated cheese, and delicately place the halved dressed cherry tomatoes in.
It is all about color and texture!
Take a look at this. Does that not look like a thing of beauty? It has to be, I put my mind, heart, and soul into it. The cooking process of this All day American Breakfast Frittata is done in two ways:
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. While that is happening I place the cast skillet on the stove top burner on medium heat for a few minutes just to get the bottom started. What this is going to do is fry up those hash brown bites on the bottom and keep them crisp.
- Then it goes into the oven to finish cooking. At the end, I put the grill on for a minute or so, just to get that extra color and cheesy crispness.
This smells amazing and looks fabulous. I can't wait to cut in and see all those layers of goodness.
To Ketchup or not ketchup? It is all up to you.
This frittata holds together well. Love that you can see and feel all the love in this dish! I just have to take a bite, excuse me for a minute. Wow, what a flavor explosion! The eggs are fluffy, creamy, more so the back bacon adds a lovely sweet smokiness to the mix. Those peppers are still holding a nice bite and the color is wonderful. Furthermore, the notes of the melted queso and those pockets of juicy goodness from the cherry tomatoes just top the charts!
The question is do I want to kick it up with some good ketchup? I think I am going to give it a try. Yum, love how the ketchup brightens all the flavors, however, I would eat it either way because naturally this All day American Breakfast Frittata can stand on its own in so many ways. It is hard to decide because it all tastes so good. How about you decide for yourself!
All day American Breakfast Frittata! Any time, any day!
It's hard to believe that Christmas is literally knocking at our doors. Scary and wonderful at the same time. During this season, I crave those meals that make me feel warm, cozy, and all the fuzzies that go along with it. There is always an open door to have a breakfast meal any time of day. This All day American Breakfast Frittata fits the bill well! I sure hope you enjoy this as much as we enjoyed creating it!
- 8 eggs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices back bacon
- 1 small purple onion chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 mini red peppers diced
- 1 mini orange pepper diced
- 30 hash brown bites
- ¾ cups grated queso cheese
- 6 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp balsamic cream
- 2 fresh basil leaves slivered
- pinch of dried oregano
- salt and pepper
Back bacon and veggies:
- Pre-heat oven to 425° F, place hash brown bites on a baking sheet and put on middle rack of oven. Bake for 10 minutes then flip and bake for an additional 6-12 minutes or until crispy on the surface and a lovely golden color is achieved. Take out of oven and set aside.
- While potatoes are baking, grab a sauté pan, drizzle in olive oil and toss in purple onion, peppers, and back bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions and peppers have softened and back bacon has caramelized. Set aside.
- Crack eggs in a bowl season with salt and pepper and whisk until well blended.
- Brush cast pan with olive oil making sure to coat the sides all the way up. Sprinkle a third of the sautéed mixture and place in 10 of the hash brown bites evenly making sure they are on the bottom of the pan surface. Sprinkle with green onion, and grated cheese.
- Pour in half the egg mixture, and repeat with a third of the sautéed mixture, 10 of the hash brown bites and a sprinkling of green onion and grated cheese.
- Top with the rest of the eggs, and top with more sautéed mixture, last of the hash brown bites, grated cheese, and finally the dressed cherry tomato halves plus some more grated queso.
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- First, put cast pan on the stove top, on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat and place pan on middle rack of oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a wood skewer placed in the middle of the frittata comes out clean.
- Turn oven to grill and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until a lovely golden color appears on the surface. Make sure to check often as we do not want to burn the top.
- Take out of oven and let sit on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes. Take a butter knife and release the sides of the frittata from the pan.
- Cut into nice wedges, and serve.
You can use regular bacon if you want, or make it vegetarian by adding mushrooms instead.
Also use your cheese of choice or whatever you have on hand.
Serve with a lovely salad, and/or toast.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, brunch
- Method: Baking/Stovetop
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: all day breakfast, breakfast for supper, frittata, back bacon, red pepper, yellow pepper, purple onion, eggs, queso cheese,
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.