There are many recipes for Banana Bread and they all are very good. I tried to make a delectable and healthy version using spelt flour, sweetening it with honey and sprinkling walnuts on top.
I am quite intransigent on what I like to buy, eat, cook and bake and -as a consequence- on what I like to post on the foodblog. What we share, both savory and sweet, are recipes that we prepare with love and care for the family consumption and that follow our belief, disposition and personal taste. Sometimes these recipes might be “trendy” and popular, sometimes not, but always tried and true. Rest assured that everything we made, photographed and shared, has been gobbled and gone 😉 . Like this Spelt Flour Banana Bread With Walnuts And Honey
I love sweets and I love to bake. I mostly bake breakfast items that can also be good as dessert. And sometimes desserts, that are good to eat at breakfast. My personal preference being for simple, unsophisticated flavors, made with wholesome, organic products in their most natural form. It is perhaps for my own safety, since I consume a good quantity of sweets, that I’ve always tried to combine deliciousness and healthiness in most of my baked goods. And when we indulge in something less beneficial for our wellness but more appealing to the tastebuds (and we need that, too), we try to compensate in our meal planning for the week. Balance is the key for everything. And libra is my zodiacal sign, so the scales are a constant in my life 🙂 .
And that takes me to today’s baking: Spelt Flour Banana Bread With Walnuts And Honey.
Spelt flour has become a staple in my pantry. I find it more digestible and easy on my stomach than processed refined flour. I don’t know if I developed an intolerance to wheat, during the years, but lately I’ve been drawn to ancient grains and gluten-free flours more than before. And since carbs (and sweets) have always been my favorites, I am adding goods made with gluten-free flours or with spelt and kamut to my everyday diet. And I feel better.
This loaf is a play on the classic Banana Bread, but with the addition of spelt flour, honey and walnuts, each ingredient blending and melding to create a moist, light and flavorful loaf. The bananas, together with extra virgin olive oil and oat milk provide the moisture, the honey and spelt flour a mild sweetness, the walnuts the crunch and additional nuttiness. Just a note on honey: consider it a great swap to refined sugars, being a natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, immunity system builder and a source of antioxidants.
This Spelt Flour Banana Bread With Walnuts And Honey is perfect for breakfast, or as a snack when the sweet craving hits. Half a slice would suffice, since the bread is quite filling. After all, spelt flour is highly nutritious (it contains more protein, fats and crude fibre than wheat), honey is nature’s energy booster and a handful of walnuts will get you enough of the recommended levels of minerals, vitamins, and protein.
I really enjoyed this banana bread. I froze half of the loaf cut into slices, and took it out of the freezer in the morning to have it as my breakfast. I toasted it, added a little honey on top, or some jam, and it was a delicious, nutritious start to my day. I also brought it to work and shared it with my coworker. She is really appreciating my baking and she already said she is going to miss me deeply when I’m gone.
I don’t know if I am going to miss anybody, really, as I am going back to my other half 🙂 .
Song of the day: “7 Years”, Lukas Graham.
Recipe adapted from: Apples Under my Bed.
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw, organic honey
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk (I used oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a 20cm x 5cm loaf tin, with baking paper hanging over the edges so you can lift it out easily.
- Chop the walnuts and toast for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Sift the spelt flour, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Beat the olive oil and honey together in a separate bowl. Add the eggs and beat well. Mash the bananas into the mixture, then add in the milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add 3/4 of the chopped and toasted walnuts and combine. Leave some to sprinkle on top.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the surface with the moistened back of a spoon or spatula. Top with the rest of the walnuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before lifting out and cooling on a wire rack for a further 30 minutes before slicing.
It is important not to over-mix spelt or you may risk having a crumbly texture.
Ricetta in Italiano:
Disclosure: All links in our post are NOT affiliate links. They are only about products or places we normally purchase and like.